Building Refit / Life Extension
We have a history of helping organizations extend the lives of their structures, whether they need an envelope retrofit or interior redesign. The spectrum of venues we have rejuvenated ranges from office and institutional complexes to air force bases and remote lighthouses.
Building Science / Technology
By continually upgrading our knowledge, processes, and abilities, we keep pace with the world's evolving technical challenges, state-of-the-art needs, and high-tech materials. Our integrated team approach includes clients in decision-making; together we pursue innovative, sustainable building solutions.
Commercial / Retail
We understand the distinctive pace and complexities of commercial and retail projects — intricate approvals, tight schedules, corporate needs — and meet the challenges. Ensuring increased visibility and curb appeal, proper and safe access, and a high recognition factor — all play a major role in our commercial / retail design solutions.
Design-Build Bridging Architects
Lat49's comprehensive knowledge of contractor needs and wide experience in cost-planning allows us to be innovative throughout design-refinement and construction, without sacrifice to quality or cost. Our solid reputation as a team player is also a key asset.
Lat49's has been designing low- and high-density housing since we first opened our doors. Our process, programming, and planning expertise allows us to maximize site potential; our experience yields design solutions that harmonize purpose, functionality, scale, materials selection, and the built and natural environments.
Offices / Public Buildings
Among our strengths is our ability to define and refine each project's requirements. Following proven programming techniques helps us — and our clients — clarify project parameters, purposes, and goals, so that every design direction is realistic, appropriate, and attainable on budget.
Restoration / Adaptive Re-use
At Lat49, we align technical and heritage expertise with creativity and vision. Applying in-depth knowledge of traditional building methods and contemporary materials and safety codes, we cost-effectively restore or replicate historic finishes and structures, while respecting each building's place in its community — yesteryear's, and tomorrow's.
Tourism / The Arts
Expertise in heritage-building restoration and the skills to renovate existing structures for arts- or tourism-related purposes often go hand-in-hand. We understand the realities and the intangibles of history, culture, and communication — and put them into play designing interpretation, exhibition, and performance spaces.
- Peter Bloodoff MCIP Award for Planning Excellence (Canadian Institute of Planners) for our contribution to “The Downtown St. John’s Strategy for Economic Development and Heritage Preservation”, 2002
- Formally recognized by the Cityof St. John’s on the 25th Anniversary of the Heritage Advisory Committee for “significant contribution to the preservation of the City’s Built Heritage”, St. John’s, 2004
- Southcott (Heritage) Award for the Salvation Army Wiseman Centre (for homeless men), St. John’s 2006
- Pearl Award, Excellence in Urban Design, Alliant Building, Topsail Road, Mount Pearl, 2007
- Manning Award (Historic Sites Association) and Southcott (Heritage) Award for the Fisherman’s Advocate Building owned and operated by the Sir William Ford Coaker Heritage Foundation, Port Union, Bonavista Bay, 2007
- Pearl Award, Excellence in Urban Design, Carnell’s Funeral Home, Topsail Road, Mount Pearl, 2008
- Southcott (Heritage) Award and Manning Award for the Garrick Theatre, Bonavista, NL, (Bonavista Historic Townscape Foundation) 2010 and 2012 respectively
- Southcott (Heritage) Award for the Tower Corporate Campus, St. John’s, 2011 (GJ Cahill)
- City of St. John's Heritage Advisory Committee Recognition Certificate for the redevelopment of 336 Water Street, St. John's 2014 (Adelaide Group)
- AZ Awards Social Good Award for Fogo Island Inn, Fogo Island, 2015
- AZ Awards People's Choice Award for Fogo Island Inn, Fogo Island, 2015
- Pearl Award, Excellence in Urban Design Award, Reddy Kilowatt Credit Union, Mount Pearl, 2015
- Pearl Award, Inaugural Green Lens Award, Reddy Kilowatt Credit Union, Mount Pearl, 2015